Tuesday 22 July 2008

Across The Universe

What’s it about?
Set in the 1960s Across the Universe is the latest attempt to use the music of The Beatles within film. Across the Universe is the tale of Jude, a young lad from Liverpool who travels over to America and falls in love with Lucy, and the film is about the existence they share.

What’s good?
If you love the music of The Beatles, you won’t be upset by the film’s soundtrack, no less than 33 Beatles songs form the soundtrack for Across the Universe.

What’s bad?
The film, for me, simply didn’t work. I found it to be a muddle of cheap references with action and visuals put in to give some form of validation as to why Across the Universe wasn’t simply released as an album of Beatles covers. The characters were underdeveloped and I found myself constantly looking at my watch and trying not to fall asleep.

Overall
If you truly love the music of The Beatles give this film a try, it is firmly for the die hard fan, on DVD it may fare better than it did on film, however with Julie Taymor’s history in theatre, I would not be surprised if Across the Universe finds its way onto a Broadway stage before too long, where I do believe this show could be a hit.

No comments: